Monday, March 15, 2010

Aunt Reta's Rolls

My Aunt Reta gave me this recipe and I tried it this morning and I just couldn't wait any longer to try it out. They are by far the best dinner rolls I have ever had in my entire life! Try them I promise you won't be disappointed! My Aunt said: "I can usually make these from start to finish in 3 hours. I have been making them for 25 years and have never found a better recipe for dinner rolls."

I added some pictures so you can see what they look like and see how the knot is made. Also when I made them this morning, as soon as I got them out of the oven I brushed some butter on them. So Good!
4 - 4 1/2 cups flour
1 pkg dry yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp of yeast from jar)
1 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 tsp salt
2 eggs


Combine 2 cups of flour and dry yeast in mixer bowl.

Combine milk, sugar, butter, and salt until just warm (115 - 120 degrees) and butter is almost melted.

Add milk mixture to flour mixture in mixing bowl. Add eggs. With mixing paddle, beat at low speed for 1/2 minute until combined. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.

Change to kneading paddle on mixer (or knead by hand). Stir in 2 more cups of flour and knead for 6 - 8 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Add remaining 1/2 cup of flour if needed to prevent sticking.

Place in a greased bowl, turn once, cover and let rise in a warm place til double (about an hour).

Punch down and divide dough in half (you now have 2 balls). Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

Shape into rolls - you can use any shape, but I use the Rosette - Knot shape.

Rosette - Knot shape - take one of the balls of dough, slightly roll into a rectangle loaf, then cut into 12 pieces. Take one piece, roll into a 10 - 12 inch snake, and tie into a knot in the middle and tuck one end under the roll and the other into the top center of the knot. Continue for each of the remaining 23 pieces (12 pieces per ball of dough).





I can usually put 12 rolls per cookie sheet. Let rise again until nearly double (about 30 minutes), then bake at 375 for 12 - 15 minutes.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...